Too Mutch

...a safe place to dance with ideas, play with theology, and re-create a life implicated by God

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Coming Out...of blogging retirement

Was it really October that I last posted an entry? Time flies when you are frustratingly unemployed. That's what, I think, finally did me in with the writing. I had absolutely no creativity. I had lots of time. 2mutch time. But nothing that was beckoning to come out.

Well, I'm gainfully employed once again. It was a long wait, but the wait was worth it I think. I've recently begun working as a Chaplain (Sprititual Care Advisor to be techinical) for Hospice of Michigan. So far so good. I think it's going to be a a good fit for me (and hopefully them). Working again--being back in the game, so to speak--has me feeling more creative...desiring to think, play, and write.

The BIG question: What does one write about? I don't want this blog to be about me me me, even though I am awefully interesting and amazing. The rest of my life is focused on that enough. So, I want this to be somewhat multifaceted. I want it to push me, while at the same time being therapeutic. I'd also like it to be interesting to the readers and a place where people can interact with one another. Recently, I've been to see the movie Blood Diamonds. Powerful. Moving. I ask myself, "So--what next?" Saturday I was at a day seminar at Mars Hill with lots of challenging material. So--what next? I'd like this site to be a place where we ask "what next" and dialogue about IMPLICATIONS for life...this life...right now.

So, I sit here at home drinking at Centennial IPA from Founders...trying to come down from an endorphin rush from playing soccer from 10-11pm. It's now after midnite and I'm nowhere close to being ready for bed. This will probably be one of my writing times. Anyways, I digress. I am sitting here wondering...what to write about? What matters? What is interesting to people?

Maybe it's stuff I'm reading...like "The Walmart Effect" or "The Holy Longing."
Or the Enneagram. I've promised to come around to that sometime.
Or to get suggestions on where I can buy Fair Trade clothing for my new job?
Movies that move us?
I will certainly have lots of stories from my new job...
I'm open to suggestions.

Well, it's good to be back. I hope my next post is a bit more...let's say...compelling. Yes that's a good work. It's better than saying "less sucky."

Peace my friends (both of you)

13 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back! :-) Now that you're gainfully employed...will there still be time for coffee together?

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should post about the Holy Longing. i've heard good things about this book and am considering reading it. i'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the seminar at mars on saturday too. and, about the enneagram... do you think it's really accurate? i mean, i've been told by someone who knows the enneagram pretty well that i was a 7, then she thought i was 2, and now she thinks i am an 8. i guess it'd be nice to know what i am, but at the same time it really confuses me. going from a 2 to an 8 is pretty extreme, ya know?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Justin. Yes, we'll still do coffee. I just will have to schedule a little more specifically. I won't have ALL DAY to get together with folks. bummer.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Hey Heather. Thanks for the ideas. That's going to be a lot to cover.
In regards to the seminar, I think we will have some folks over to discuss what was shared...and future implications of it all.

In regards to the enneagram, there is a high correlation b/w 2's and 8's. Under stress, a 2 will behave a lot like an 8, revealing that under the "niceness" is a bit of "hard ---" if you know what I mean (and I think you do). So, the best thing to do is keep digging it up and reading more about it...allowing the number to come slowly over time rather than assuming you have the number right and fitting yourself into that box.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger The Journey man said...

I'm Glad you found a job after all this time. I know its hard in Michigan. So how has life been treating you? i have seen you only once in the last several months and time to time wonder how you are. have a good day and I look forword to your responce

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Greg said...

hey alan. I'm doing well...adjusting to life scheduled around the 40 hr week. It's quite a bit different than serving as a pastor with a more flexible schedule...and a lot different than being unemployed! No other great news here...just plugging along. You?

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know,
I've missed this blog. It's always entertaining and always thought provoking. I suggest you make this a blog about nothing. For instance, what did you do the other day Greg? You went to work, you went to a soccer game, you went to Founders....there's a blog. No wait a minute...that's something....This has to be a blog about nothing!!:). (Scienfeld episode). I'm very interested in talking about Wal-mart. I was boycotting Wal-mart for some time and then I did some research and changed my mind. At least for now, I've come to think that the plusses of Wal-mart outweigh the negatives - especially for a poor person like myself. So I'd like to talk about that. Another thing I'd like to talk about is church growth or lack of church growth. Or how about Wal-mart churches that get members from all the small churches because they have more to offer the religious consumer. That's interesting. But I guess this isn't my blog.
Anyway, go Peyton!
Nate

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Greg said...

thanks nate. Good Ideas. I'm sure I'll do a couple on the Walmart thing. It's been one of the more interesting books I've read lately. Plus, this past saturday, Brian Walsh and Sylvia Keesmaat...authors of Colossians Remixed...spoke for the day at Mars Hill Bible church. have you heard of that book or that church? Some challenging ideas about living subversively to the anti-kingdom/empire and in favor of a radical kingdom living.

btw, has Payton ever won an AFC championship game? I know for you that's like asking if the Bills ever won a superbowl. Another question would be has he ever beat the Pats in the playoffs? This could be their year...

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've heard of that book. A couple CRC folks. I should give it a look sometime. I haven't heard of that church though. Are you trackin' with me?
as for the NFL, you're poking on some sensitive wounds here.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger John Frye said...

Hey, Mutchy Mutch!
It's GREAT to have your blog up and running again. I'd like to read your reflections on Rolheiser's THE HOLY LONGING. And write about you, also. You ARE an interesting person.

I tagged you over at JESUS THE RADICAL PASTOR. Get with it.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger diane said...

i am ALSO reading The Holy Longing...hmm...

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Greg said...

well, hello diane! i just finished it. I really liked a lot of it. Refreshing, I thought. you?

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger diane said...

It's intense. I lobby between 3 books right now so I suspect I'm not getting the best of any. Soon I'll focus just on Rolheiser...We can talk more then.

Please tell Christine that I'd like to come over for dinner sometime soon...maybe a Sunday? And THANK HER for the socks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home